Powered by Blogger

bipolar planet
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
Powered by RingSurf

Thursday, January 19, 2006

Cheeta's Dilemma

A few weeks ago I mentioned that we may be looking for a new home for Cheeta. Weirsdo asked about this, but at the time I couldn't bear to answer. For anyone who doesn't know, Cheeta is our pot bellied pig. She will be 4 years old on July 5th & October will be 4 years that we've had her. We were told she'd weigh, at the most 70 lbs., she now weighs about 120 lbs. She's in exceptional physical condition & eats a healthy diet. The people who sold her to us blatantly lied.
When we originally got her it was to help with my depression. At the time, I'd get depressed for months on end, so it was suggested I get a pet. Tarzan is allergic to both cats & dogs. Being that I've had a pot bellied pig before, I started looking into it. The main concern was zoning laws & I found out that unlike most places, it was okay to have a pot bellied pig here. We live in a condominium which is just about 700 sq. feet, but the complex grounds are probably over 45 acres, so there's plenty of space for her walks we take 4 times a week.
Cheeta is doing exceptionally well right now, she's happy as can be and had me in stitches the other day as she was being such a clown. She barks and runs through the house likes it's an obstacle course. Then, she'll slide into the pillows as though she were sliding into a base & she's got so much momentum, she rolls onto her other side. When she's in this funny mood, she'll also sit, like a dog, and if we so much as slightly push her, she'll just fall over onto her side. Kind of like what I've heard about tipping cows. It's really hilarious & my other pig didn't do these types of things.
The problem is pigs need mud. They need to graze too. Contrary to popular belief, they also like to run; at least ours does. Cheeta has become aggressive at times, in the sense that she's extremely grouchy & will snap at us. When she's out in the open space on her walks, she has a different disposition completely. (This is a very condensed explanation)
Over the past few years, my condition has improved. So, I think it might be time for me to give back to her.
This is the plan:
A customer of Tarzan's has 1 pot bellied pig and a 1 acre yard. They want an indoor pig that is friendlier & knows some tricks. Cheeta knows some tricks & would especially be exceptionally friendly with her own space.
We're planning on taking Cheeta over to visit for an hour or so. If things go well & she likes it, we'll take her back to visit for a few days. If all goes well then, we'd let them adopt her. This all depends on if Cheeta is happy there or here and that will be very easy to tell. Pigs speak volumes with their noises & body language; a wagging tail is 1 example of a happy pig.
1 of my concerns is that she have an area outside where she could be separated from the other pig, Marge. She'd need access to her own pen when she's outside. Another requirement would be that when she's in their house, she have a place where she could go & not be disturbed.
We'll only let her be adopted if the perfect situation presents itself & she'd be happier. If she is adopted & ever isn't happy, we'd bring her back home instantly.
Both Tarzan and I feel we should still look into this other option even though things are going well. If we ever do have to give her up, it's best that it be under good conditions. And we can't forget, this is for her well being now.
I haven't processed what it might be like without her; I'm not at that point yet. She is a huge part of my life & while I do spoil her, there are no words for what she's done for me. She must have been a wonderful something in her previous life, because in this one, she's a primadonna pig.

Previous posts about Cheeta:
May 29, 2005 ~ My Cheetah
July 15, 2005 ~ When pigs fly
July 15, 2005 ~ And this little piggy got BIG

Tidbits:
1.The funniest pig names I've heard of:
Ally McSqueal and Swinefeld
2. Lil Orphan Hammies is the best pig rescue I've ever seen & you can actually take a virtual tour by clicking on Lucky's Tour. To get there, click here.


Technorati tags: , ,

posted by jane at 8:51 PM