Powered by Blogger

bipolar planet
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
Powered by RingSurf

Saturday, June 18, 2005

Books

I have a difficult time falling asleep at night without Tarzan by my side. I'd sleep on the floor with Cheeta, but she'd either eat me or take that as her cue to think my side of the bed was hers! So, I've been reading more. I read the newspaper daily. After reading that, I read books. I have 2 books I'm constantly reading, 1 is spiritual, the other health. The spiritual one is SCIENCE OF THE SOUL (or something like that). The health book is a rather new book called YOU,THE OWNER MANUAL
I've finished (somewhat) THE SEWING CIRCLES OF HERAT & was disappointed with it. I was very interested in it, especially when I finally got to where she got to the sewing circles part. But then she so quickly left that part & went on to other parts of Afghanistan, she lost me & as harda as I tried, keeping my attention was a lost cause. Sadly, I cannot recommend this book.
A book I found interesting was 1 I bought on sale called, INTO THE WILD. It was about a young climber who went into the Alaska wilderness & died there. The author is the same one who wrote UNDER THE BANNER OF HEAVEN (I think thats the name). As you can tell, I'm in too lazy a mood to look the definite names up. INTO THE WILD is a good book though.
KING OF CONSis 1 of the biggest wastes of money I can think of! I did finish this book, ONLY because it was a gift from Tarzans parents for christmas. I dearly love them & let his mom read it after I was done. She agreed & said the author was lacking of any moral fiber. Dont waste your money on that one.
While I'm on horrible books, I'll add ANIMALS ARE SOUL TOO. This book is more of a gateway book to what I consider a cult. The stories are mythical. I never intentionally read fiction. NEVER! I get so mad when I think I actually BOUGHT this book, it will probably be the only book I ever throw out. I have such a problem with throwing out books I have yet to do it, but probably will.
1 of the best books I've read recently was SLAVE. This is 1 of the few I can recall that I literally could not put down. It was a 1 nighter. I finished it the same day I bought it. Stayed up until 3am reading it. Absolutely amazing that ths took place in the present century & still takes place as I'm writing this. I highly recommend this book.
A great coffee table book is LAST SUPPERS. It literally discusses last suppers of many prisoners executed & other interesting details about them.
FIVE FINGER DISCOUNT was a really cute autobiography that I read & highly recommend. The author has a good sense of humor & great writing skills.
HONOR LOST is another good book. It's about honor killings in Jordan, which are very prevelant today. A confusing aspect of this book is why the author's friend engaged in the behavior she did knowing what the consequences were.
CANNIBAL despite its name isn't as greusome as it sounds. Yes, the guy eats the dead guy. But the dead guy actually offers himself up to be eaten. They meet on the internet. And the cannibal doesnt get life cuz the victim wasn't really 100% a victim. Easy & fast reading.
So now I'm trying to read 2 books: HOBO & POISONED VOWS. Will post if I'm able to finish either & what I think of them.
I like biographies,/autobiographies, not really historical books. Do you have any non-fiction books you'd like to recommend?

posted by jane at 2:09 PM