Powered by Blogger

bipolar planet
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
Powered by RingSurf

Sunday, July 31, 2005

I'm just not a material girl

This is my last entry about our vacation. It was by far the most relaxing trip to date, as we took the time to get to know our camping neighbors & enjoyed each other's company. We spent time with 1 couple that is from Tarzan's hometown & coincidentally knows my oldest brother. We also met 2 couples that are fulltime RV'ers. We conversed about mundane things we'd normally be too busy for. We discussed how high fleas jump, the ingelligence of ants, the color & length of an Okapi's tongue, the wedding from hell
& escapees.com. I read Detour by Lizzie Simon, The Prison Angel by Mary Jordan & Kevin Sullivan and I'm 1/2 way thru Objection! by Nancy Grace; all books I recommend.

One night, Tarzan & I sat outside by the fire as it became dark and the stars began to shine. We talked about our families and walked down memory lane together. It was suddenly so quiet, the trees appeared black against the mystical blue sky filled with glowing stars. It was just us & the silence. In a stillness that seemed to stop time, I had an epiphany. The kind you long for your entire life. It was so simple, but it filled my heart. And as corny as that may sound, that's all I've ever wanted. Here it is:

~~Truth be told, I'm not a materialistic woman. I've had plenty of gold jewelry with diamonds & rubies and when I was a heroin addict, I sold it all to a pawn shop. Actually, I sold anything that wasn't nailed down & some things that were. Material things really don't do anything for me. Maybe it's the fact that I was alone for so many years, I have a greater appreciation for companionship. In essence, I've become rather simplistic: peace of mind and good health are my jewels of choice.
I have no big dreams of faraway voyages, when I want to go someplace, I can go in my mind. Trees are trees. We all see the same sun, the same moon, the same sky. Put me anyplace in this world (except Bakersfield, California) and as long as I'm with Tarzan, I'm content.~~

On our 6th day of camping, I was feeling grungy. Tarzan stood outside & looked at me as I stood in the door of our RV, smiled & in his best Billy Crystal imitation, said: "Why you look simply mahvelous dahling." (I could have sworn he had a tux on)There I stood, in an old t-shirt, hair in a ponytail, legs unshaven, feeling like the most beautiful woman in the world! Since then, I keep asking him, "How do I look?" He smiles and says, "You look mahvelous dahling. Don't you feel mahvelous?" And I must say, I do.

Technorati Tags: , , , , , ,

posted by jane at 2:11 PM