Powered by Blogger

bipolar planet
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
Powered by RingSurf

Thursday, August 04, 2005

Just call me the Bag Lady

It all started a few months ago when our Costco quit giving customers the option of plastic bags for their groceries. My 77 year old mom, who lives on the 3rd floor of her senior apartment complex, has to carry box after box from a parking lot up to her apartment. But this isn't just about my mom, it's about the many other elderly customers who shop at Costco & also the disabled. And heck, also those who live in apartments! What's so terribly wrong with plastic bags? Money! They cost money! The boxes are free because their bulk items are delivered in them.

So, on Tuesday I called Costco & spoke with the manager. He said when requested, bags are given. I told him my mom was on her way to Costco & I hope that when she asked for bags she'd be given them. She wasn't. She then had to ask for the manager as he told us to do. Then she was given bags.

I went to Costco 3 times today. First time I had about $200 worth of merchandise in my cart. I asked for plastic bags & was told they didn't have any. I went thru the 'I called & was told you had them upon request', the girl laughed and said, "we don't even make bags," I told her I didn't find it 1 bit funny as I'm disabled. I left my cart & walked away.

Trip #2 to a different Costco: I shop & ask for bags. I'm told they don't have them & so I explain I called, blah blah, they get me bags. I ask for the manager to come to the register, which she does. I explain that I'm infuriated because other people are still being misled to about bags & having to carry their bulk items in boxes. They don't know they have to be a ranting bitch to get plastic bags for their items! I told her I will contact ADA & AARP if this practice continues.The manager assures me customers will get plastic bags upon request.

Trip #3 to Costco: I'm sick of Costco, I really am. I'm meeting my son there & buying some items for my kids. So, while he doesn't need the plastic bags, I decide this is a good time to put the manager's promise to test. When I reach the cashier, I say I'm going to need plastic bags. The young gentleman smiles at me and says, "Oh, you're back." I must have turned beet red and I say, "You must have been bagger earlier?" Yes, yes he was. We both had a good laugh. The same manager walked up and politely handed him plastic bags for my items. I thanked them all.

Yes, I'm the bag lady.

posted by jane at 10:15 PM