Powered by Blogger

bipolar planet
Join | List | Previous | Next | Random | Previous 5 | Next 5 | Skip Previous | Skip Next
Powered by RingSurf

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

6/29/5


Kids, dinners readyyyy

I developed my culinary skills late in life. REAL late. And if anybody tells you that you can't burn water, they're lying! I've also burn a big black hole right thru a hot dog in the microwave. I accidentally cooked it for 4 minutes (I think) instead of 40 seconds. Or maybe it was 8 minutes. I forget. Anyways, it caused the smoke alarm to go off. The smoke alarm used to go off at my old place so often we'd just keep the broom nearby to knock it off.
Anyways, I tried to sound all 'mother knows best' like Jane Wyatt and melodically sing 'Dinners Ready', and before I'd turn around, I'd hear a rustle in my purse, running footsteps & the screen door slam. I was suddenly ALONE & there was silence. And oddly enough, I understood. I didnt want to eat my cooking either.
And then there was the dreaded St. Patricks morning green pancakes & eggs. At least Cavegirl & Caveboy choked those down with smiles for me. :) It was no wonder I'd always have to call the plumber the next day. We were on a very fixed income & I tried to feed them as healthy as possible. Problem was, it just didn't taste good. I can tell you of 2 very happy children who were ecstatic when the free breakfast program was introduced at their elementary school. I was happy too; it hurt less. And this way, I knew they were at least eating something.
Since my kids have grown & I've been with Tarzan, he's suffered thru the hard times & allowed me to experiment with recipes. Another good thing is that he likes raw potatoes. So when I've made mistakes & they weren't quite cooked, they were just to his liking. YESSS!
I even have a menu system, subscribe to a couple of magazines, plan my meals 2 weeks in advance & buy my groceries every 2 weeks also. (except for fresh produce, things like that)
OH-MY-GOSH but dont EVER cook gourd. They're those kind of bumpy colorful ornamental squash fruits they sell around Thanksgiving. UGH. That would have to fall into the "worst thing I ever cooked" category. It tasted like metal & you have to wash your hands & lips really, really thoroughly to get rid of the taste. I cooked an entire dinner with it & had to throw out the whole thing. BEWARE OF GOURDS! (Before I knew what caused this horrendous taste, I had Tarzan taste it, poor poor Tarzan, he ate it too) :(
And now when my kids come over for a meal(they're adults now), they'll even eat what I cook! (they don't know about the gourd fiasco shhh) Best of all, we're all eating healthier & able to keep it down.

But who is eating the best in our home? Cheeta! She's a vegan for starters! If we all ate like her we'd be in good shape! She gets her piggy food, 1/2 a cucumber, broccoli, and some steamed veggies. For snacks she gets grapes, apples and cardboard tasting cereal puffs that are really for humans. (sometimes even she wont eat those)

If anybody wants original taco recipes (my grandma's from mexico) or cheater cheese enchiladas recipe let me know. Or maybe I'll just write about it next time I have a sucky day like this one. (or taco salad too!)

There's a reason I'm writing about this rather neutral subject. The past 2 days have been really rough for me emotionally. I don't want to be fake, but I also don't want my blog to be a downer. Its hard for me to write about anything at all when I'm down, so this was all I could get up to write about. I dont have the energy for anything more at the time. I will find a way* to express myself without dragging others thru the sludge. (does that make sense?) I hope so.

**It's official, on my down days or too high days, I'm going to write a recipe.

peace

posted by jane at 11:28 PM